Here we’ll upgrade the FrSky Taranis to the latest Open-TX firmware. Open-TX is the firmware running on your Taranis.
Upgrading process for FrSky Taranis:
- Download latest opentx-Companion from http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html, currently (Aug-2016) OpenTX Companion 2.1.8. and Install the companion on your computer.
- (If drivers are already installed skip to step 6 )
Turn off your Taranis and connect it to your computer using a mini-usb cable.
wait for the driver install to finish (most problems are caused because you didn’t wait long enough in this step), while it’s installing you can open the Device Manager from Control panel – Devices and Sound.
- If your STM32 BOOTLOADER ended up in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers instead of Universal Serial Bus devices (as pictured above), follow these steps:
- Download Zadig, install and open it.
- Enable options-> List All Devices.
- choose STM32 BOOTLOADER from the drop down menu.
- and click Replace Driver.
- Check again in the device manager.
- At this point, copy the Taranis Firmware file to you Taranis SD-Card drive into the FIRMWARES folder. This will allow you to flash your Taranis from the SD-card on the field, with out connecting to a PC.
- Disconnect the Taranis.
- While holding Yaw-Trim to the right and Roll-Trim to the left, turn on your Taranis.
- Connect your Taranis with the USB again (Your Taranis Screen will read USB Connected)
- Open the Open-TX Companion and go to Settings -> Settings…
- On the Radio type dropdown choose your correct model (either FrSky Taranis or FrSky Taranis Plus. Regardless of what ever Mods you made) [If it reads PLUS on the front screen of your Taranis its a PLUS, if not its a regular Taranis]
- Enable Offer to write FW to TX after download and click OK
- In the companion go to File -> Download…
- On the Download window click Download FW and choose Yes to write the firmware to the radio now.
- Safely eject both the Taranis drive and the additional drive representing the SD card before unplugging the USB cord.
- Turn on your Taranis normally and if given a prompt to format the EEPROM, do it.